Friday, September 07, 2007

Beginning Aikido


Tonight was my first night of training in Aikido at Musubi Dojo in Claremont. My instructor Alex was good in explaining the proper etiquette in bowing in and the other things we need to know. I've already forgotten most of the terminology and salutations, but they'll come with time.

Ron Rubin and Susan Perry senseis, who are married and own the dojo, are wonderful people. They make Aikido seem so effortless, which is the way it should be. As I learned at the demonstration two days ago, Aikido requires a very different kind of strength from what we are accustomed to. Ron sensei compared it having water flow through your body. In Aikido, you don't meet an opponent's energy head-on in a test of muscular strength.

"Opponent" not an appropriate term, actually; she or he is not someone in opposition to you, but instead a partner in redirecting energy. In addition to our own safety, Aikido teaches us to provide for our partner's safety, too. It truly is not a martial art, but rather, an art of peace. I had the opportunity to watch Ron sensei demonstrate some techniques with the black belt class tonight. They appeared effortless and at the end of each one, the gentle flow of energy from his hands was almost visible.

During our beginners lesson, my fellow "newbie" Joe and I bumped into and tripped over each other constantly. As he said, "I didn't know which left foot to put forward!" I hope I do better on Monday!

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969), also known as O-Sensei, was the founder of Aikido. According to the Musubi Dojo website, "His gift was to marry effective martial technique with a deep spirituality. A master of many martial arts, he brought out of budo (the martial path) a deep philosophical element. His influence on philosophical thinkers as well as martial artists has been profound." I am excited to be taking the first step in a journey with O-Sensei and his followers.

No comments: