Tuesday, September 02, 2008

San Bernardino Peak


Labor Day, Sept. 1, 2008: I rode my bike to Angeles Oaks and hiked to San Bernardino Peak. I really recommend this hike for anyone who wants to experience the San Bernardino mountains. The view is spectacular!


The valley was pretty hazy yesterday, so the photos are going to need some serious Photoshop work and will be posted later, along with video and the usual blah-blah-blah-me-me-me. Good news: My new Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS battery held out for the entire 12.5-hour trip. (Unlike my 301, which let me down on San G.) My MotionBased digest has all the data for the day, which amounted to almost 15,000' of elevation gain.

Below is a panorama I stitched together with Photoshop that merges five separate exposures. It was taken from mid-way up the mountain and includes Mount San Antonio (Old Baldy) in the distance and Big Bear (far right). Click on the image to view full size:


Update Sept. 3: Here are a few more photos from the hike. It's amazing what you can do by manipulating levels in Photoshop. Click on these images to see larger versions (which have been downsized for the web. I'll post the full-size originals in my SmugMug gallery later).

Looking west across San Bernardino valley toward Mount San Antonio (Old Baldy):


San Gorgonio Mountain from San Bernardino Peak:


Seven Oaks Dam:


Washington's Monument with Big Bear Lake in the background:


Screenshot of MotionBased Player view of hike (stopped at the end to display cumulative data):

No comments: