Friday, December 24, 2010

Hello, Sunshine!


The rain has finally ended -- for a few days. Another big storm is expected to arrive tomorrow (Christmas). I emptied another one and one-half inches from my rain gauge Wednesday evening and tallied it up: 12 inches in four days. As my friend Bob Bottomley reminded me, that's a year's worth of precipitation in less than a week! It's hard to imagine one foot of water being added to the surface of our area in such a short time. We paid for it, too. It took me an hour and a half to make the 17-mile drive home from work on Wednesday, as I got caught among the hundreds of cars inching their way through the numerous detours around the mud-filled streets of Loma Linda.

When I saw that the sun was out yesterday, I decided to pack my Nikon in my bag and take it to work. I got some great shots of the college of engineering's new Materials Science and Engineering Building, which is about to open. The dean let us all go home at 3 p.m., and after making a few last-minute (are there any other kind?) gift purchases, I turned west on Park Avenue in Redlands and saw the glow of the sun as it began to set behind the hills of Loma Linda. After I grabbed the shot above, I turned my attention to the mountains to the east, still bathed in the light of the setting sun. I have scaled all of the peaks in the photos below (San Bernardino, Anderson and San Gorgonio), but never in these conditions. I think a pair of snowshoes is in my future.



1 comment:

Andygirl said...

oooh! that last one is my fave!