Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Photo of the Day: Stand for Peace


I thought it would be appropriate to take a photo of this rock during my lunch-time run to the "C" at UCR today. To me, it says, "Stand for Peace," which is what I heard Richard Holbrooke say about the United States in a taped interview on NPR this morning.

A career diplomat, Holbrooke died yesterday. He was a regular on Charlie Rose's interview program and always impressed me with the depth of his understanding of nations, their leaders and what motivated them. He was the consummate negotiator because he was able to get in the head of everyone at the table and understand their viewpoint. The world would be a better place if we could all do a little of that every day.

At the time of his death, he was serving President Obama as special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, but his best-known achievement was brokering the agreement that ended the war in Bosnia -- the Dayton Peace Accords. In the NPR interview, he said the U.S. always stands for peace. I'm not sure Dwight D. Eisenhower would agree, given the way the military-industrial complex (a term he coined) has grown into a powerful economic engine, but I admire Holbrooke for saying it. I would like to think it's true.

2 comments:

rosefoto said...

Nice post. We are all in need of those working for the solutions. May we all do our parts as well.

Andygirl said...

love it. :)