Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Photo of the Day: Christmas 1986


The technical quality of this composite of two iPhone photos is about as poor as anything I'll ever post, but I love it. These two Christmas tree ornaments with photos of Chris (top) and Dean (bottom) are from 1986, when they were six and three and one-half years old. Those were good times!

I have lot of friends with young kids and it's a treat to watch them experience the joys of parenthood. I tell them to savor every moment, because one day their kids will be grown up and gone and they'll ask themselves, "Where did the time go?"

During the past few years, it's been a challenge to get the family together during the holidays with the boys living out of state. Some years, Deena and I haven't bothered to get a Christmas tree. One year, I bought a foot-tall rosemary plant shaped like a tree for the coffee table (it's now taking over my garden). This year, we went full tilt because we'll be blessed to have both of the boys home for more than a week! Not only will we get to enjoy Christmas with them, but we get to celebrate Dean's birthday, too. I can't wait.

[Full disclosure: I say, "we" went full tilt, but Deena did the decorating. I put the tree in the stand and helped string the lights.]

Every year when the boys were young, I would set up a cassette recorder in the living room and turn it on when they came into the room on Christmas morning. Last year, I got the tapes out of their dusty drawer and converted them to digital audio files. I love the sense of wonder in their young voices as they see that Santa opened the fireplace screen to get in, consumed the cookies and milk and left a note, and--most importantly--deposited a pile of gifts under the tree.

I'll be listening to those recordings during the holidays, and wiping the tears. They may be grown men, but they will always be my boys.

No comments: